October 28th, 2015
Content Marketing – Why it’s good for your business and nine tips for success
If you’re a business owner, you’ve probably heard that content marketing is the sure-fire way to win and retain customers these days. But what exactly is it – and why is it so important?
We think this is one bandwagon that’s worth jumping on, so here’s our quick and simple guide to why it matters and how to go about it.
Content marketing is defined as: “the process of creating and distributing relevant and valuable content to attract, acquire and engage a clearly defined and understood target audience.” (www.contentmarketinginstitute.com).
Unlike conventional marketing, it’s not about selling to your potential customers; it’s about talking to them, engaging them and showing them what you stand for as a business.
Business is all about people. People choose to work with businesses they like and trust. Content marketing gives you a way to build that trust. To demonstrate your personality and your values. If customers like what you say and the way you’re saying it, they are more likely to do business with you.
Content marketing is the way you use digital platforms to ‘communicate with’ your customers and audiences in a relevant way that engages them and encourages them to use your business. You can use your traditional platforms, such as PR and printed material to help 'feed' the content marketing machine and create an 'engine' of content.
So here’s why content marketing is good for your business:
- It improves your search engine rankings. Google likes authentic, fresh, relevant and regularly updated content – and so do your customers.
- It engages your customers on an emotional level. It builds empathy and trust.
- It builds your brand personality and reputation.
- It positions your business as a thought leader.
- It generates free PR. Plus, you own the media platform, so you don’t have to tailor your messages to suit a journalist’s agenda.
- Good content marketing will build your audience and generate sales leads.
- You can use your content for multiple platforms – social media, newsletters, emailers, presentations, press releases, etc.
Many businesses find that actually producing engaging content is their biggest challenge and so here are our nine top tips for content marketing success:
1. Make a plan. Decide on the frequency of blog posts or updates and stick to it. Monthly is a realistic starting point. You can always add extra posts in between if new ideas and issues come to light.
2. Get some articles written before you launch. Then, if you don’t have time to write a post one month, you’ll have some in reserve to fall back on.
3. Link your content to trends, seasonal events, topical issues, popular TV shows, etc. Anything that people are talking about.
4. Use social media to link to your blog posts – it will drive extra traffic to your site.
5. Know your audience – and tailor your content accordingly.
6. Don’t be afraid to have an opinion. Be real, interesting and honest.
7. Don’t sell.
8. Be concise. Try to keep blog posts under 500 words.
9. Make it visual – use infographics, pictures, videos and diagrams to bring your content to life.
Eager to practise what we preach, we’ll be posting regular monthly blogs from now on!